June, July, and August show the highest incidence of grill fires and grill related injuries. 8,900 house fires are caused by grills per year and around 16,000 people go to the emergency room every year due to grill related injuries, including 8,700 people with thermal burns. Please take precautions when grilling a pay attention to the following safety tips.
General Grilling Tips:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.